I must preface this with the following:
The hubs works shift work. Three rotating shifts 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am. Seven days on, one day off, seven days on, one day off, seven days on, four days off. Almost always at LEAST 6-12 hours overtime in a week.
This was a large factor in us making the decision for me to quit work. He is unable to do anything really, due to his schedule. And I was doing 85% while working and commuting (8 hours) a week was just too much for me and blah blah blah…
Mids. The 3-11pm shift.
This is by far the worst shift. When I was working, I was basically a working single mom. He was gone by the time we got home and we were asleep by the time he got off work. For seven days straight. I had to do everything. Every little thing. And work.
Now, I just do every thing 19 hours out of each day, and don’t work. It really isn’t a big deal until the END of mids. Tomorrow is day seven and we are ALL feeling it.
I literally can’t explain why this day has been so hard without writing a dissertation, but it has been down right mind meltingly hard.
- Woke up at 7am to take the 11 year old to Basketball camp.
- Came home, to go back out to get him an hour later.
- In that hour, I made tea, cleaned the kitchen from Breakfast and got our bag ready for the pool, which included towels, drinks, snacks, suits, and other accoutrements.
- Picked him up, and headed to a friends to try and plan a baby shower.
- Had to travel another hour with her to get her kids.
- Finally got to the pool, was about to rain.
- (Hello Tropical Storm Andrea)
- Got back to her house for more baby pre-gaming, kids are officially getting on my last damned nerves.
- Go home try and take a nap, children revolt. Losing my ever loving patience.
- Eddie kitty has been missing for 2 days while it has stormed almost all of those 2 days. Keep calling him, sounding like a moron to my neighbors.
- My other kitty Ginger is acting all weird, landed oddly and hurt her little paw/shoulder, she is limping.
- Try and make dinner, salvage the evening.
- Start laundry
- Make bed
- Finish dinner
- Eight year old is flossing his teeth with a thin rimmed cup, drops crystal light all over the floor when I get understandably upset over said flossing with our cheap plastic kids cups.
- Hear Eddie kitty stuck in neighbors fence.
- Try and coerce said kitty while becoming a nice meal for the 1,412,223 mosquitoes that are out due to standing water over the monsoon that just came through.
- Knock on neighbors door, while still getting eaten, they say they will “Check”
- Hear my 11 year old say, “HELLLOO EDDIE!!!!!!” the cat came back on its own.
- Fold laundry, turn over laundry, start NEW load of laundry, because the 11 year old informs me he needs his baseball uniform by tomorrow at 8am.
- Find out a tropical storm is coming right SMACK in the midst of the 11 year old year end game, and my 4 hour trip to pick up our 16 year old stepson.
- Eddie sees Ginger and does that weird sideways cat walk where he tries to look twice his size, he seems TO HAVE HURT himself in the process, is under the couch.
- Never seen that close up, that was friggin weird.
- I almost just drank out of the hubs dip cup. Literally that JUST almost happened.
Domestic Bliss my ass. While all of this may not sound so bad, this has been my last 14 days. Literally. I run, I drive, I cook, I clean, I chase cats, I try and determine if swallowing a nickle is ER worthy, I try and squelch smart-assery, dumb-assery, and any other asseries that may occur.
All the while telling the kids 5 hours out of the day SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Daddy is sleeping. Shhhhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhhhhh SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I know I can’t complain. I know that I am extraordinarily lucky to be able to not be working right now, so I can do all of this. But between Busting my ass the last 7 days of work and jumping right into this…
Mama needs a vacation. Or something.
I apologize to any stay at home mom’s I ever judged unfairly.
This shit is hard.
Picture of poor Edward. I think he got into some serious cat on cat battle action during his two day vacation 😦 He was already so timid….
Please excuse my dust bunnies, aka Ghost turds as the hubs likes to call them.
Woman on Pause